Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Is it Lawful to do good or to do evil?

Mark 3: 1-6
And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.
And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.
and he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand Forth
And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath day, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? but they held their peace
And when he looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.
and the Pharisees went forth, and straightway took counsel with the Herodians against him, how they might destroy him.

Is it lawful to do good or to do evil? Is it lawful for Christians to speak out on issues such as abortion? Is it lawful for Christian leaders to speak from the pulpit on issues such as abortion or homosexuality? The Pharisees remained silent when Jesus questioned them and Jesus looked on them with anger because of the hardness of their heart. I wonder how Jesus looks on Christians who remain silent while it is lawful to shed innocent blood? If we are blessed enough to have a Pastor or Priest to speak out against abortion from the pulpit...how is the congregation responding?

5 comments:

Sharon said...

This is a mind bending topic, and it's hard to say. I know my pastor doesn't talk much about abortion, but he will talk alot about adultry, and other topics that I wish he wouldn't talk about. Some things he discuss's I think should be discussed in Men's meeting. Abortion I would have no problem if he discussed.
What do You think on this subject?

debrah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
debrah said...

Blogger debrah said...

Sharon- it is my opinion that we in America find ourselves so far removed from God because Christians remained silent...and ceased from calling sin as sin or evil as evil...we have watered down the gospel and now we are reaping what we sowed...we have compromised the gospel and look like the world...some non christians have spoken of this more eloquently basically saying that the ratio of views in the church are equal to the ratio of views of those outside the church

Sharon said...

I could not agree more with you, Amen~~~~ But also too there have been some church cultures that have spoiled it for other church cultures, and I think you know what I am talking about, so I think alot of the christian quietness comes from that, people are afraid. Afraid of being compared.
But I am not!! I will talk to everyone I can about my Lord, My husband and I are planning a revival in our community to spread the Gospel, for those that want to hear and those that do not. :)
In our park! And we have already spoken to 3 other churches that are wanting to be involved. So excited about this.
We need to preach the good word.
And not water it down, let it be write from his word, say the truth and the truth shall set us free.

Ohhh but there is still so much here to think about isn't there!
I will probably sit down with my husband tonite and we will read this together and talk about this, because this is important, I truly feel this in my heart.

Thank You for another learning and thought processing post.
I Love coming and reading and discussing these with you, it gets me so fired up!! :)
hugggggs to you

Sharon said...

Hey Debrah,

My Husband and I have come to re-read this post like I explained I would do.

Dear Sister in Christ, I find your post re-freshing, as a minister of the Gospel. Yes you are correct, we have been put by God in a leadership position to preach the good news and to teach the truth of God's Word. Not only should we preach the unadulterated Word of God, but anything but the truth should bring conviction to our hearts by the spirit of God. We need not only to teach on this subject of the truth but, we need to act in FAITH on what we preach. A great example of this would be in the polls coming up and voting according to God's Word and not according to our wallets. Never ever has God condoned the shedding of innocent blood of babies or any of man kind. We need to not fear what others think, but we need more than anything to be obeident to Christ.

Also I would like to say as I read your post the spirit of God told me that you have a missionary calling, and that you have a gift for interceding in prayer for the church.
God Bless you, continue to stand up for your faith but always do it in Love.
Brad
Have a wonderful night Debrah and we will chat again soon.
Hugggs and Love
Sharon